If you’re reading this, you are probably know the story of the temptation and fall of Adam and Eve well enough to tell it from memory. The highlights would probably go something like:
- Satan comes, in the form of a snake, to tempt Eve.
- The temptation is to eat the forbidden fruit—the fruit of the tree God warned them not to eat of.
- Eve succumbs to the temptation, and then shares the forbidden fruit with Adam, who joins her.
- As a result, they realize they are naked and make leaf coverings for themselves.
- God comes looking for them, confronts them, and pronounces the curse.
- They are kicked out of the Garden where they will have to work among thorns and thistles until they die and return to the ground.
Now, your version may include some different details. What clarifications, expansions, or other adjustments would you make?
Digging a little deeper, how would you describe the temptation Eve faced? What was the essence of it?
What details are included in the Story up to this point to help us understand the temptation? How do these impact your understanding of the temptation?
We’ll look at all this next.
©Copyright Garth Oliver